Choosing an Orthopedic Surgeon
Find a Surgeon Near You
Choosing an orthopedic surgeon is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as you explore treatment and surgical options for your joint problems. When making this decision, you may want to consult with several surgeons to find the doctor who is the right fit for you.
- Ask for referrals from your healthcare providers, family and friends, insurance providers, and online resources.
- Review the surgeon credentials and experience levels.
- Meet with the surgeon and observe their bedside manner and the environment of their office.
When making your decision, consider the following questions.
- What are my goals in pursuing this surgery or procedure? Your personal goals – relief from pain, the ability to perform everyday activities, or play active sports – will help to determine the appropriate procedure and surgeon for you.
- What does my insurance or health plan cover? Are there any restrictions in my choice of physician or facility where surgery is performed?
- Are there specific techniques or type of procedures that I want to know more about?
- How close to home do I want to be, for both surgery and the rehabilitation period after surgery?
- Do I like and trust this doctor? Do I feel good about this doctor’s expertise? Do we communicate well?
Ask Your Surgeon
- What procedures do you recommend for my case? Why? Why not others?
- How many times have you performed this procedure in the past year?
- How do you follow a patient post surgery?
- What will my follow-up care look like?