After returning home from the hospital, moms can sometimes feel overwhelmed, as their babies need more frequent feedings and visitors stop by to welcome the new family member.
Our home care nurses can make the transition from hospital to home easier, and reassure you that you can successfully breastfeed and care for your baby.
Your home care nurse will:
- Monitor your recovery by checking your blood pressure, c-section scar, or episiotomy
- Monitor your baby’s health, by checking his or her weight, skin color, temperature and heart and lungs
- Observe and assist during breastfeeding, making sure that your baby is positioned properly and that you are comfortable
- Weigh your baby after a feeding and develop a feeding plan if more weight gain is needed
- Teach you how to use a breast pump
- Show you how to keep your baby safe while he or she sleeps
- Answer any questions about caring for your baby
We will contact your doctor for approval before a home care visit is scheduled.
Breastfeeding Assistance 24/7
You may contact a home care nurse at any time, day or night. A phone number will be provided to you during your first visit.
Length of a Home Care Visit
Expect your first home care visit to last 1-2 hours. At this time, your nurse will record your medical history, monitor your recovery, examine your baby and observe an entire feeding.
How to Schedule a Home Care Visit
Home Care visits are available to moms living in Erie or Niagara County.
During your stay in the hospital, let your lactation nurse know that you would like a home visit from a nurse.
Within a few days after you return home from the hospital, you will be contacted by one of our staff, who will schedule your appointment. If you feel that you no longer need a home care visit, you are under no obligation to make an appointment.
If you did not request a home care visit during your hospital stay, please ask your baby’s pediatrician for a referral.
Most insurances cover 1-3 visits from a home care nurse. Prior to making an appointment, our staff will verify that our services are covered by your insurance company.
You will be notified in advance if you will be responsible for a co-pay.