Your midwife will put you at ease so that you can share whatever concerns you have. Not only can your midwife provide treatment or refer you to specialists, knowing of your concerns will also give her a better understanding of you, as a patient and a person.
Why Women Choose Midwifery Care
Women who choose midwifery care often report that:
- Their midwife is like a friend and partner.
- They are given information that empowers them to make decisions and are asked about their preferences.
- They are given one-on-one attention. Their midwives spend time with them to ensure that their questions are answered at each appointment.
- They feel supported and more confident in their body’s ability to give birth. They feel stronger than they ever believed possible.
- They feel safe. Research has found that women who received prenatal care from midwives were less likely to go into pre-term labor or to need medical interventions, such as episiotomies.
Feel Empowered in Your Healthcare
Although they are best known for prenatal and pregnancy care, midwives can care for you throughout your lifetime. They perform annual health exams, treat gynecological conditions such as urinary tract infections and pelvic pain, offer fertility counseling, and care for women who are in or approaching menopause.
Many women choose midwives as their primary women's healthcare provider.