Certified nurse midwives are registered nurses with advanced training in caring for women.
Although they are best known for prenatal and pregnancy care, midwives can care for you throughout your lifetime. They perform annual health exams, treat GYN conditions such as urinary tract infections and pelvic pain, offer fertility counseling, and care for women who are in or approaching menopause.
Many women choose midwives as their primary women's healthcare provider.
Care provided by midwives includes:
- annual gynecological exams
- primary care (wellness visits)
- family planning and preconception care
- prenatal care
- labor and delivery support
- newborn care
- breastfeeding support
- treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- menopausal management
Why Women Choose Midwives
Women who choose midwives often report that:
- Their midwife is like a friend and partner.
- They are given information that empowers them to make decisions and are asked about their preferences.
- They are given one-on-one attention. Their midwives spend time with them to ensure that their questions are answered at each appointment.
- They feel supported and more confident in their body’s ability to give birth. They feel stronger than they ever believed possible.
- They feel safe. Research has found that women who received prenatal care from midwives were less likely to go into pre-term labor or to need medical interventions, such as episiotomies.
Feel Empowered in Your Healthcare
Midwives believe that the more you know about how your body works and how to take care of yourself, the healthier you'll be. They give you insight into your symptoms or conditions to help you see the whole picture and make better decisions about your health.
Your midwife will put you at ease so that you can share whatever concerns you. Not only can your midwife provide treatment or refer you to specialists, knowing of your concerns will also give her a better understanding of you, as a patient and a person.