When you’re trying to become pregnant, don't lose hope if it doesn't happen right away. It can take up to a year for a fertile couple to conceive. Couples under the age of 35 generally see an infertility specialist after one year of regular, unprotected sex.
Women may be seen earlier than a year if any one of the following is true:
- They are over the age of 35 and have not conceived after 3-6 months.
- They are over the age of 40.
- They have irregular menstrual periods.
- They have been diagnosed with a condition that is known to impact fertility, such as endometriosis or PCOS.
- They have had a miscarriage.
- They have been treated for cancer.
Men may be seen earlier if they:
- have a low sperm count
- have swelling in the scrotum
- have had a vasectomy
- have been treated for cancer
Sometimes, infertility may be caused by incorrect timing or abnormal ovulation patterns. Natural family planning can teach you how to recognize when you are fertile and when sex is most likely to result in pregnancy. Learn more about Natural Family Planning.