Partial knee replacement is a minimally invasive surgery option that can postpone and potentially eliminate the need for a full knee replacement. It can also mean a shorter recovery time. More than 90 percent of our patients go home the very same day.
This procedure uses the MAKO medical robot, which uses a robotic arm and visualization techniques to prepare the knee joint for reproducible bone shaping, implant insertion and alignment – all through a minimal incision.
Candidates for MAKOplasty®
Although the best treatment for each patient must be determined individually, typical MAKOplasty® patients share the following characteristics:
- Knee pain with activity, usually on the inner knee and/or under the kneecap
- Pain or stiffness that originates in the knee when activities are initiated from a sitting position
- Failure to respond to non-surgical treatments or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication
The MAKO Experience
MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing can:
- Enable the preservation of healthy tissue and bone
- Result in a more natural feeling knee following surgery
- Result in a more rapid recovery and shorter hospital stay when compared to traditional knee replacement surgery
- Be performed on an outpatient basis
- Promote a rapid relief from pain and return to daily activities
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Procedure
MAKOplasty® can be performed as either an inpatient procedure or on an outpatient basis depending on what your surgeon determines is the right course of treatment for you. Hospital stays can average anywhere from one to three days. If the procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, patients return home the same day.
In many cases, patients are permitted to walk soon after surgery, drive a car within two weeks and return to normal daily activities shortly thereafter.
Like other knee arthroplasty procedures, MAKOplasty® is covered by most Medicare-approved and private health insurance providers.
Please speak with your physician to determine your healthcare benefits, and if MAKOplasty® may be the right treatment option for you.