Neurosurgery, or neurological surgery, includes surgical procedures of the brain, spine, and peripheral nervous system. At Catholic Health, our neurosurgery program strikes a balance between advanced technology and patient care, using state-of-the-art equipment to provide treatment that positions patients for their best possible outcome.
Combined with the vast clinical experience of our surgeons and physicians, the technological investments made by our system work to position this department on the cutting edge of neurosurgery.
The Brain Lab at Mercy Hospital of Buffalo
In 2019, Mercy Hospital of Buffalo made close to a $2 million investment by bringing world-renowned Brainlab technology to our operating room in South Buffalo. Within the field of neurosurgery, having access to advanced tools has become essential to the life-saving work our surgeons perform on a daily basis.
What Is a Digital O.R.?
Mercy Hospital’s transition to a digital operating room reflects our team’s dedication to embracing technology as it evolves, as well as the life-changing results that these tools can help us achieve.
Patients with cranial, spinal, or central nervous system diagnoses are confident knowing that they’re being cared for by some of the region’s most talented surgeons using Mercy’s highly advanced technology. This includes:
- An intraoperative CT scanner, which allows surgeons to perform a CAT scan during the procedure. This integrates imaging with the surgery itself, which is completely revolutionary – allowing doctors to track their progress.
- The Brainlab Curve, a smart probe that navigates through surgery. The tool is paired with a camera that permits pre-operative planning, as well as visualization during the procedure, so surgeons can understand where they are in relation to the patient’s anatomy.
- A 3D microscope that focuses itself automatically. Microscopic structures are able to be viewed through the lens as well as on the screen, which the microscope is connected to.
It all comes back to community – this technological investment by Mercy Hospital is our way of making the best neurosurgical care available to Western New York. It’s the right way to care.
Conditions Treated by Neurosurgery
- Tumor removal
- Brain trauma
- Spinal cord injuries, including spinal stenosis
- Spinal tumors
- Abnormalities/malformations like spina bifida