The commitment made every day by the stroke center at Kenmore Mercy is to provide care that positions patients for long-term success. Our of the main reasons that the occurrence of stroke is so devastating is that brain cell death can cause semi- or fully permanent disabilities – time lost is brain lost.
Getting the right level of care when you are experiencing symptoms of a stroke increases your likelihood for a full recovery. As a designated Primary Stroke Center by both New York State and the Joint Commission, we provide the Northtowns with comprehensive, compassionate stroke care.
Why Choose Kenmore Mercy Hospital for Stroke Care?
Kenmore Mercy is the only hospital in Western New York with both a Primary Stroke Center certification from the Joint Commission and a Magnet designation. As Joy MacNeil, BSN, RN, SCRN, Stroke Care at Kenmore Mercy puts it, "our stroke care is comparable to a large academic medical center, but with a personal community hospital atmosphere."
From the minute you arrive at Kenmore Mercy with a stroke-related emergency, know that our team of physicians and specialists see themselves as part of a bigger picture. Our treatment sets patients up for better functional outcomes and a stronger recovery.
- Improved quality of care
- A higher standard of service
- Advanced-imaging capabilities
- A dedicated stroke inpatient unit
- Stroke prevention education
Know the Symptoms of Stroke
Call 911 immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Weakness, numbness, or paralysis of the arms or legs, especially on one side of the body
- Inability to hold arm upward
- Facial droop, inability to smile
- Un-explainable worst headache of life, sensitivity to light, neck stiffness
- Severe dizziness, loss of balance
- Loss of normal vision
- Confusion and problems with speech – can’t think of a word, can’t say a word
Inpatient Stroke Care
We are determined to provide an individualized approach to stroke care that begins as soon as you enter our Emergency Room and continues through inpatient stay and rehabilitation. Medical research shows that stroke patients that are cared for in a dedicated unit with a specialized team show improved outcomes, fewer complications, and reduced time spent in the hospital.
Kenmore Mercy Hospital is dedicated to providing world-class care for all of our patients at the area's best stroke care facilities. These include:
- State-of-the-art operating suites
- A designated inpatient unit for stroke patients with specially-trained nurses and staff
- Sub-acute rehabilitation for patients not yet ready to return home
- Outpatient rehabilitation facilities
As a part of the network of Stroke Centers of Catholic Health, our team will make sure you get to the right level of care, quickly. With our network of Stroke Centers, we can provide stroke care close to your home, family, and primary care physician; or transfer you to our Comprehensive Stroke Center if you need more advanced care.