Research is an integral part of this residency program.
Apart from research that is done by residents, which they present in local and national meetings, our major research activities include:
- Two or three modules of research under faculty mentors
- Research mandatory for graduation
- Yearly program-sponsored research symposium
- Mandatory oral presentations by PGY III
- Poster presentations (optional for PGY I-II)
- Performance Improvement Projects required in continuity clinic: These projects are based on established clinical guidelines. Residents complete one project per year. A quarterly progress report is completed by house staff and uploaded in the resident's electronic portfolio. Mentoring and critical appraisal is performed by Ambulatory Clinic Attending and Program Director.
In addition to a personal advisor, each resident is assigned a research advisor who has expertise in his or her area of interest.
Your advisor can help to identify and evaluate research opportunities at Catholic Health, the University at Buffalo, Roswell Park Cancer Institute and Buffalo Veterans Medical Center. Your advisor will also review your progress and guide you as your research progresses.
Author Contributions: Mohammed Samannodi – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Acquisition of data, Analysis and interpretation of data, Drafting the article, Revising it critically for important intellectual content, Final approval of the version to be published. Int J Case Rep Images 2017;8(3):187–190. www.ijcasereportsandimages.com
Malayala SV, Raza, A. Health Behavior and Perceptions among African American Women with Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives. Buffalo New York. Co-Action Publishing. 6:30559. 2016
Samannodi, M, Vakkalanka S, Zhao A, et al. Neisseria Elongata Endocarditis of a Native Aortic Valve. BMJ Case Rep. Published Online. February 2016. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2015-213311
Al Jebaje ZB, Zhao A, Samannodi M, Al-Sofiani M, Hocko M. Salmonella spondylitis in an immunocompetent non-sickle cell patient. Int J Case Rep Images 2017;8(3):187–190. www.ijcasereportsandimages.com Published: 01 March 2017
Mohammed Al-Sofiani, Abdul B Abu-Samra, and Shaker A Mousa. Vitamin D, Parathyroid Hormone, and Parathyroid Hormone-Related Peptide Interaction in Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Clinical Metabolism and Diabetes. 2012 October; 3(2):11-19.
Al-Sofiani ME, Jammah A, Racz M, et al. Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Glucose Control and Inflammatory Response in Type II Diabetes: A Double Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial. International Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015;13(1):e22604. doi:10.5812/ijem.22604.
Mohammed Al-Sofiani, Dhimitri Nikolla, Ramesh Metta. Hypothyroidism and Non-Cardiogenic Pulmonary Oedema: Are We Missing Something Here? Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Case Reports. 2015;2015:150014.
Mohammed Al-Sofiani, Peterkin Lee Kwen. Isolated medial rectus nuclear palsy as a rare presentation of midbrain infarction. The American Journal of Case reports. Accepted.
Mohammed Samannodi, Andrew Zhao, Yaser Nemshah, and Kevin Shiley, “Plesiomonas shigelloides Septic Shock Leading to Death of Postsplenectomy Patient with Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency and Hemochromatosis,” Case Reports in Infectious Diseases, vol. 2016, Article ID 1538501, 3 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/1538501
Sujit Vakkalanka, Andrew Zhao, Mohammed Samannodi. Primary Hyperaldosteronism: A Case of Unilateral Adrenal Hyperplasia with Contralateral Incidentaloma. BMJ Case Reports 2016; doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-216209
Yoo E, Sammanodi M, Zhao A, Hocko M. Mycobacterium kansasii liver abscess in a patient with HIV. Open J Clin Med Case Rep. 2017; 1231
If you were conducting a research project outside of Western New York, you may qualify to continue your research at that location. This opportunity is available to residents at all stages of residency.
Residents are encouraged to publish their results and to present their findings at regional and national meetings including:
- Austin Flint research Symposium
- UB Scholarly Exchange Day
- The New York Chapter of the American College of Physicians (NYACP) state meetings.
- The Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY) annual academic meeting.
- The American College of Physicians (ACP) National meeting and oral and poster session
2014 - 2015
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Dr. Candace Marr
- Residents Award of the Medical Society of Erie County, Dr. Raed Alnaji and Dr. Sara MacLeod
- Richard Sarkin/Emeritus Gold Humanism Honor Society, Dr. Ammar Saati
- Louis A. and Ruth Siegel Award University at Buffalo, Dr. Adam Riordan and Dr. Mohammed Al-Sofiani
- New York American College of Physicians, Research section, First prize, Dr. Ahmad Farooq
- Catholic Health LOVE Award, Dr. Jared Mahan
2013 - 2014
- May 2013 - American Geriatrics Society, Dallas - 3rd place in research session, Dr. Varun Malayala
- 2013 - University at Buffalo 16th Annual Scholarly Exchange Day, Dr. Shabnam Rehman
- 2013 - Yale University Fibrosis Symposium, Dr. Ahmad Farooq
- 2013 & 2014 - American Association for the Study of Liver Disease Annual Meeting, Dr. Ahmad Farooq
- 2014 - University at Buffalo’s Richard Sarkin Medical Emeritus Faculty Chapter of the Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS), Dr. Abdul J. Samdani
- 2014 - University at Buffalo, Louis A. and Ruth Siegel Awards, Dr. Awais Zaka
- 2014 - Residents Award of the Medical Society of Erie County, Dr. Erlin Marte and Dr. Matt Mavissakalian
- 2014 - American Collage of Physicians National Abstract Competition, Oral Presentations, Dr. Ambreen Raza
- 2014 - University at Buffalo 17th Annual Scholarly Exchange Day, Dr. Mohammad Zafar