CenteringPregnancy Group Prenatal Care
Catholic Health Locations
Sisters OB/GYN Center
Sisters of Charity Hospital
2157 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214
Phone & Hours
At your appointment, you will briefly see your provider, then meet with other women who are at similar stages in their pregnancies. In this group setting, you will learn about pregnancy and parenting, ask questions, and share your experiences.
On this page:
- Day or evening appointments. When you join our program, you can choose from day or evening appointments, depending on what works best for your schedule. You and your partner can avoid missed days from work and choose a time when daycare or transportation is more readily available.
- More time with pregnancy experts. Unlike in a traditional doctor’s office, your appointments will last for about two hours, giving you a chance to ask questions or raise concerns.
- A support system. You will be placed into a group with moms who are of similar gestational ages. You will go through your pregnancies together and meet new friends. Many moms continue their friendships following the birth of their babies, arranging for play dates and sharing parenting strategies.
Traditional care vs. Centering:
|Traditional OB/GYN Care||CenteringPregnancy®|
|Number of appointments||10||10|
|Average length of appointments||60 minutes for the first appointment, 15 minutes for each following appointment||2 hours|
|Appointment times||Daytime||Daytime or Evening|
|Vital signs||Taken and recorded by medical staff||Women learn how to take and monitor their blood pressure and weight and record them at each visit|
|Resources for questions||OB/GYN||OB/GYN, group facilitators and moms within the group|
- Less hassle. Your appointments are always on the same day and at the same time for your entire pregnancy, giving you less to keep track of.
- A healthier pregnancy. Through the knowledge you gain from the group, you can improve the health of your baby and reduce your chances of delivering early. Research has shown that women in Centering groups have healthier pregnancies and have better relationships with their OB/GYNs.
- Confidence and peace of mind. You’ll learn how to play an active role in your healthcare by taking your own blood pressure and weight measurements, and calculating your gestational age. You will feel more in-tune with your body and feel better prepared to give birth and care for your baby. CenteringPregnancy® will prepare you for every stage of labor and allow you to feel confident in your decisions.
- Improved communication with your partner. Because we offer day or evening appointments, you can schedule your sessions at a time that is convenient for both you and your partner. This shared experience can improve communication, as you learn about pregnancy and parenting together.
Group sessions are led by CenteringPregnancy® facilitators; they can be nurse practitioners, doctors, social workers or registered dietitians.
During group sessions, you will learn about and discuss:
- How your body changes during pregnancy and common discomforts
- Pregnancy weight gain
- Nutrition and exercise
- Oral health
- Mental relaxation
- Monitoring your baby’s movements with kick counts
- Prenatal testing
- Labor, including the types of labor, early labor, and medications
- The birthing experience
- Newborn care and safety
- Infant massage
- Newborn growth and development
- Adjusting to parenting and family changes
- Postpartum depression
- Planning your family
CenteringPregnancy® is available to women who have low-risk pregnancies (i.e. no major anticipated problems).
To enroll, please call to make an appointment.
Moms usually join in the second trimester, although you can begin at any time.
You will meet with your group a total of 10 times – once a month during the first five months of your pregnancy, and then every other week afterwards. During the last month of pregnancy, you will have individual appointments with your provider, on opposite weeks of your group meeting.
In total, you receive the same number of appointments with an OB/GYN as other moms who are not in the program and are having traditional OB/GYN office visits for their care.
Daytime and evening appointments are available.
You are welcome to bring a support person with you to your appointments.
Our moms deliver at Sisters of Charity Hospital. Learn about the amenities that we offer.
The attending OB/GYN at Sisters Hospital will manage your delivery.
CenteringPregnancy® is covered by most insurances, including Medicaid. If you do not have Medicaid, we can help you to enroll at your first appointment.