LIFESTEPS© Weight Management Program
Enroll in LIFESTEPS
To enroll in this program, contact Jennifer Turesky at (716) 862-1035.
LIFESTEPS© is a 12-week program that teaches adults how to take gradual steps toward changing their eating and physical activity behaviors.
Week by week, participants learn about nutrient needs, portion sizes, the benefits of moderate physical activity and how to manage high risk eating situations.
Unlike other weight loss programs, LIFESTEPS© classes are taught by a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator and do not promote the use of supplements.
Jennifer Turesky, MS, RD, CDN, CDE, your LIFESTEPS© leader, will assist you in designing eating and physical activity plans that you can live with. You'll develop goals that are realistic and obtaintable and have a network of people who can provide support and positive reinforcement.
No matter how much weight you aim to lose, LIFESTEPS© will help you to take positive steps toward better health and weight management based on sound nutrition principles.
Jennifer has been the most motivating person that has come into my life.
She is very knowledgeable about nutrition and has a very compassionate way about her. She never puts anyone down and is always encouraging people, even when they only take baby steps.
I have learned so much – from how to eat healthy to just moving and getting some exercise every day. It will be with me always. Even if I have a lapse, I know I can email her and she will set me straight to the right path again.
She has made a wonderful difference in my outlook on life and my general attitude.
LIFESTEPS© participants will meet once per week at the M. Steven Piver Center for Women's Health and Wellness (on the Sisters of Charity Hospital campus in Buffalo).
- Monitoring - Learn the role of monitoring in weight management and how to keep a Food and Activity Record.
- Physical Activity - Make a plan for increasing your physical activity levels.
- Guide to Daily Food Choices - Develop a plan for getting the recommended number of servings from the Food Groups within the MyPyramid Food Guidance System.
- Serving Size - Learn how to weigh and measure foods so that you can develop an eye for standard serving sizes.
- The Calorie Connection - Know where calories fit in the weight management picture and identify ways you can cut calories.
- Putting It All Together - Determine changes you can make in your eating and physical activity behaviors to achieve your goals in a healthful way.
- Mid-Program Interview - Meet one-on-one with Jennifer to evaluate your progress and receive feedback.
- Eating Styles - Identify eating styles that lead to overeating. Learn about hunger and satiety.
- Managing Lapses - See how the availability and visibility of food affects intake and learn strategies for reducing environmental cues. Develop strategies to avoid overeating when faced with personal, high-risk social situations; emotions that affect your eating behavior; people who overly or unconsciously encourage eating; and eating away from home.
- Staying Active - Develop a physical activity program for maintaining weight losses and developing cardiovascular fitness.
- Final Interview - Meet one-on-one with Jennifer to evaluate your LIFESTEPS© experience, provide feedback and set goals for the future.
- Staying in Step - Develop a plan for maintaining behavior changes established during the program and working on new goals.
The cost of the 12-week program is $250. Participants are billed for a $50 initial consultation fee; the remaining balance is due at the start of class. As part of the program, you will receive a workbook and other materials.
Deciding Between Nutrition Counseling and LIFESTEPS©
The decision to meet one-on-one via nutritional counseling or participate in a group program such as LIFESTEPS© depends on what you're most comfortable with. However, anyone with kidney disease, type one diabetes or who is on insulin is encouraged to attend private nutritional counseling.
For more information on the LIFESTEPS© Weight Management Program, contact Jennifer Turesky at (716) 862-1035. Take the first step toward a healthier you!