Catholic Health Locations
Mercy Hospital Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates
Marian Professional Building
515 Abbott Road
Buffalo, NY 14220
Mercy Hospital of Buffalo
565 Abbott Road
Buffalo, NY 14220
Mount St. Mary's Hospital
5300 Military Road
Lewiston, NY 14092
Types of Heart Surgery
The Heart Center, located at Mercy Hospital, is an expanded cardiovascular services program. Your care is coordinated every step of the way – from pre-admission testing, to treatment, to care after discharge.
- Open heart surgery, including coronary artery bypass surgery and valve replacement surgery
- Totally Endoscopic Coronary Artery Bypass surgery, known as TECAB (minimally invasive)
- Cardiac implants – Mercy Hospital is the only hospital in Western New York with a comprehensive program for the use of ventricular assist devices (VAD), a mechanical pump used to decrease the workload of the heart
- Percutaneous closure for PFO in patients with stroke (closure of an abnormal opening between the left and right atria (upper chambers) of the heart)
Cardiologists at the Heart Center use state-of-the-art techniques and equipment to offer minimally invasive:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery, including Totally Endoscopic Coronary Artery Bypass surgery, or TECAB
- Valve replacement
Minimally invasive cardiac surgery offers less pain, scarring, and risk of infection or complications. Recovery time is much quicker, allowing patients to return to normal activities, such as driving a car, a week after surgery compared to a month or more after traditional open heart surgery.
I am so grateful and impressed with the care I received at Mercy.
My surgery was on Wednesday, I was discharged on Saturday and by Sunday I was up walking around my home. And, by the following Tuesday, I was walking up and down the road outside my house.
I can’t say enough about Dr. Lico, the one-on-one care in the Open Heart Unit, the caring staff of the 7 McAuley West Unit, and everybody I encountered during my hospital stay.
– Robert Guiffreda
I didn't want a big scar and the months of recovery with the open chest surgery.
After listening to Dr. Bell-Thomson, I had complete confidence in him and decided to have robotic surgery right here in Buffalo.
I was back to normal activities within a month. The experience was amazing and my healthcare team was even more amazing.
– Gary Kelchlin