Sisters Hospital to double size of neonatal unit that bursts at the seams
With hard hats and sledgehammers in hand (the play kind, of course), more than a dozen graduates of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Sisters of Charity Hospital joined with representatives from Sisters Hospital and Sisters Hospital Foundation for a ceremonial “wall breaking” to kick-off construction of the hospital’s new $8.8 million NICU. The new unit, which is scheduled to open later this year, will enable the hospital to relocate and expand its current NICU from 20 to 40 beds.
Sisters of Charity Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute care teaching hospital located both on Main Street in Buffalo and Harlem in Cheektowaga. It was founded in 1848 by the Daughters of Charity, as Buffalo’s first hospital, and still carries out the mission to continue the healing ministry of Jesus today. Sisters Hospital seeks to improve the health of individuals and communities through high quality service that is holistic, compassionate and respectful of human dignity. In the tradition of St. Vincent de Paul, central to this endeavor is the service of persons who are poor and disadvantaged.
Established in 1979 as a charitable, not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) corporation with the sole purpose of supporting the mission and services of Sisters of Charity Hospital, Sisters Hospital Foundation has raised more than $20 million in the last 30 years in support, and receives yearly assistance from over 100 volunteers in the business, professional, and community sectors.