Components of CPE
- Learning contract negotiated with supervisor
- At least 400 hours of combined ministry and participation in supervised group process
- Recording and evaluation of ministry
- Reflection on ministry with peers and supervisor
- Individual supervisory conferences
- Final written self-evaluation
- Final written evaluation by supervisor
One unit of CPE is equal to 400 hours.
Three units are offered throughout the year:
- Spring: January – April
- Summer: End of May – Beginning of August
- Fall: September – December
Residency Programs extend for one year from September to end of August.
Please see our CPE Program Calendar for program dates.
Certification as a Chaplain requires 4 units of CPE, a Masters Degree in Theological Studies and meeting with one of the National Committees:
- The National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC)
- The Association of Professional Chaplains (APC)
- The Canadian Association for Pastoral Practice and Education (CAPPE)
- The National Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC)