Sisters of Charity Hospital, founded in 1848, has the distinction of being the oldest hospital in continuous operation in Buffalo. One of the hospital’s notable early staff members was Dr. Austin Flint, its first Chief of Medicine and a pioneer in clinical medicine and medical education, whose name is associated with a characteristic murmur.
Sisters of Charity Hospital is a fully accredited, non-profit general hospital dedicated to excellence in medical care and education. It is located in central Buffalo about four miles from the downtown area and about three miles from the UB Medical School.
It has a modern emergency and outpatient department, and a skilled nursing facility. The critical care unit has 16 beds, any one of which can be used for isolation purposes. In 2000, the hospital opened a spacious new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, one of the most advanced facilities of its kind.
The 160 medical beds at Sisters Hospital are divided into private and teaching services. The 60-bed teaching service is subdivided into a general internal medicine service and critical care service. A team of management and teaching attending physicians, a senior resident, two to three PGY 1, and third and fourth year medical students staff each service.
In addition to the inpatient service, rotations are provided in the emergency department and ambulatory services (including experience in gynecology, otolaryngology, pediatrics and orthopedics).
Electives in infectious disease, hematology, pulmonary and critical care, neurology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, nephrology, cardiology, oncology and all other specialties are arranged at Sisters of Charity Hospital or Mercy Hospital of Buffalo or via the affiliation with the Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo at the other University affiliated hospitals.
A conference schedule includes grand rounds, daily morning report, clinicopathological conferences, pathology, radiology, mortality conferences, journal club, medical subspecialty presentations and patient discussions.
Mercy Hospital's 349 acute care beds are divided among the Departments of Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, Urology, Rehabilitation and Nuclear Medicine. A full range of ancillary support services is available, including MRI, CT scanning, invasive radiology, nuclear medicine and a cardiac catheterization laboratory.
There are 130 beds on the General Medicine service, which is divided into teaching and non-teaching sections. Forty of these beds are assigned to the Teaching Service.
The 12-bed Medical/Surgical ICU is under the direction of an Internist who is board certified in both Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine and who serves as director of the Pulmonary Division of the Respiratory Therapy Service.
The 12-bed CCI is under the direction of a board certified Cardiologist who is the director of the Division of Cardiology and the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
A sub-specialty teaching conference, the Medical Resident Journal Club, or Morbidity and Mortality Conference is conducted daily. Grand rounds are held each Thursday. Visiting faculty from the State University of New York at Buffalo and from other major university medical centers participate in this conference throughout the year.
Mercy Comprehensive Care Center
Nirishra Kalakada, M.D.
397 Louisiana St.
Buffalo, NY 14204
Ross Eye Institute
James Reynolds, M.D.
1176 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14209
St. Vincent Health Center
Patrick Siaw, M.D.
1500 Broadway Street
Buffalo, NY 14212
R and B Medical Group
Howard Lippes, M.D.
John Hall, M.D.
297 Spindrift Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221