Mercy Dedicates New Medical Library
November 21, 2008
Several honorary medical staff members, physicians, and associates recently gathered for a Blessing and Re-dedication Ceremony for the new John J. O'Brien, M.D. Health Sciences Library at Mercy Hospital. The library was recently moved to a new location adjacent to the physician lounge on the hospital's third floor.
Sister Peggy Gorman, R.S.M., Chief Development Officer for the Sisters of Mercy regional community, conducted the blessing. Speakers included past and present Mercy medical Staff members: Joseph A. Prezio, M.D., Honorary Staff, Department of Nuclear Medicine; Thomas A. Raab, M.D., Chair, Department of Medicine; and Timothy F. Gabryel, M.D., F.A.C.P., Vice President, Medical Affairs.
The physician lounge and library suite features new computers and wireless internet access, along with new flooring, furniture, window treatments, high definition flat screen TV and food service area. A bronze plaque with an etched photo of Dr. O'Brien now graces the entrance to the new library.
The late Dr. John J. O'Brien was a well-respected and beloved Mercy Hospital physician who served as Director of Medical Education from 1951 through 1985.
Funding for the renovation of the physician lounge and library suite was provided by the Mercy Hospital Foundation and the Mercy Medical Staff. In addition, the hospital was awarded a $4,895 grant from The National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region submitted by circuit librarian Grace Di Virgilio.